Different Food Assistance Programs

Countless Americans have had a hard time with rising food costs. With how expensive groceries are these days, many people find it hard to handle the cost of this necessity. However, there are support programs available that may help. The government has a lot of food assistance programs that you may not even realize are out there!

Food Assistance Options to Consider

While food is needed for survival, different people can have different needs when it comes to it. There are a variety of different food assistance programs that focus on helping people in their own unique way. Some popular programs include:

Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP)

One of the most well-known programs on this list is SNAP. Many people also know this program by the name of food stamps. Regardless of what you call it, this program may be able to help you. This program aims to help eligible households by providing funds every month that can be used on groceries. These funds will be deposited on an Electronic Benefit Transfer (EBT) card, which works similarly to debit cards. However, these cards can only be used at locations that accept EBTs as a form of payment. Besides that, the funds on the card can only be used on purchasing qualified groceries.

Eligibility for this program will vary by state, which means that the application form and process will vary by state. If you want to apply for this support, then you will need to get in touch with your state agency. In order to get in contact with your state agency you can:

  • Visit the SNAP office closest to you
  • Go online and visit the state agency’s website
  • Reach out over the phone by calling the toll-free SNAP information hotline number

Commodity Supplemental Food Program (CSFP)

CSFP is a program designed to help qualifying seniors. To be an eligible senior, an individual will need to be low-income and at least 60 years old (there may be other eligibility requirements depending on the state.)

This program supplements recipients’ diets with nutritious United States Department of Agriculture (USDA) foods. CSFP can do this by distributing administrative funds as well as food to states and Indian Tribal Organizations (ITOs) that participate in the program.

While the food packages that CSFP can provide are helpful, they are not designed to complete a recipient’s diet. Instead, these food packages can be a good source of nutrients that beneficiaries generally miss out on from their current diet. State agencies will distribute CSFP foods to local agencies that are either public or nonprofit and private. The local agencies then figure out who is eligible, give out the food, and more. If you want to learn more about this program you will want to get in touch with your CSFP State agency.

The Emergency Food Assistance Program (TEFAP)

This federal program can help supplement the diets of qualifying low-income Americans. TEFAP gives out emergency food assistance to recipients for free. The USDA buys plenty of different high-quality and nutritious USDA Foods. It then makes these foods available to state distributing agencies. These agencies include food banks that then give the food to local organizations like food pantries and soup kitchens. These local organizations are the ones to provide to those in need in the public.

Other local organizations such as community action agencies can give out food directly to low-income households. How much food each state will be able to get depends on how many people are unemployed in the state. On top of that, the program looks at how many individuals in the state have an income that is less than the state’s poverty level. For more information about this program, you can get in touch with your State Distributing Agency. If you don’t know who that would be then a list of contacts by the state may be found online on the Food and Nutrition Service (FNS) website.

Special Supplemental Nutrition Program for Women, Infants, and Children (WIC)

WIC is a food assistance program that focuses on helping a specific part of the population. This includes helping qualifying pregnant women, postpartum women, breastfeeding women, infants until they turn one year old, and children up until they are the age of 5 years old. Some of the benefits that eligible recipients can see from this program include supplemental foods that are nutritional, education and counseling on nutrition at WIC clinics, screenings, and referrals to services such as health services, social services, and welfare services.

This program is administered federally by the Food and Nutrition Service (FNS). The FNS is a federal agency of the USDA. It is administered by a total of 89 WIC agencies through the means of roughly 47,000 retailers that have received authorization. It’s important to keep in mind that this program operates through 1,900 agencies in a whopping 10,000 clinic sites! Some examples of where recipients can benefit from WIC assistance include hospitals, county health departments, schools, and more. If you want to benefit from this program, you will need to get in touch with your local or state agency to set up an appointment. You can contact this agency by either going online to their website or calling their toll-free number.

Farmers Market Nutrition Program (FMNP)

FMNP is a program that is associated with the previous program mentioned, WIC. Individuals that qualify for WIC benefits will get FMNP coupons on top of their standard WIC benefits. The coupons that recipients get can be used towards buying qualifying foods from specific sources. These specific sources include directly from farmers, farmer’s markets, or even roadside stands! However, sources must have received approval from their state agency to accept these FMNP coupons as a form of payment.

Even though this program is associated with WIC, it can only help women, infants older than 4 months old, and children between 1-year-old to 5 years old. Infants that are younger than 4 months old will not benefit from these coupons. Generally, how this program works is that the Food and Nutrition Service (FNS) will give grants to states. The state agencies will then administer the program. For more information, you will want to reach out to your WIC FMNP State Agency. The contact information you need can be found online.

Child and Adult Care Food Program (CACFP)

This federal program can give reimbursements to participating child care centers, day care homes, adult day care centers, and more of the like. This also includes emergency shelters and qualifying after-school care programs. These reimbursements cover the nutritional snacks and meals that these participating locations provide. In fact, every day, over 3 million children (and over 100,000 adults) benefit from CACFP food.

National School Lunch Program (NSLP)

This program is available in public schools as well as private schools. NSLP helps qualifying children through provided meals that are nutritionally balanced at no cost or for a reduced price every school day. For a child to be eligible for free meals, they will need to be a part of a household that has an income that is less than 130% of the poverty level. Children may also be eligible for free meals if their household benefits from SNAP or TANF.

On the other hand, children may be eligible for reduced-price meals if they are a part of a household that has an income that is between 130% and 185% of the poverty level. Federally, NSLP is administered by the United States Department of Agriculture (USDA) Food and Nutrition Service (FNS). At the state level, it is typically administered through state agencies that operate the program through agreements between themselves and school authorities. Schools will get reimbursements for the food they serve. It is a requirement that the program provides one-third of the necessary daily nutrients like:

  • Calorie intake
  • Protein
  • Calcium
  • Iron
  • Vitamin A
  • Vitamin E

If you want more information on this program, then you will want to get in touch with the state agency that has the responsibility of administering NSLP in your state. You can find the contact information you need online.

School Breakfast Program (SBP)

SBP is a type of federally assisted meal program. It operates in public schools, non-profit private schools, and residential childcare facilities (this includes charter schools that would be able to participate as public schools.) At the federal level, the Food and Nutrition Service (FNS) administers the program. However, at the state level, SBP is administered by state agencies. They operate the program through agreements between themselves and school food authorities. It can provide free or reduced-priced breakfasts to qualifying children. Facilities that participate in the program can get cash subsidies as a form of reimbursement for the food that is served.

For children to qualify for SBP benefits, they will need to participate in specific programs like SNAP, Head Start, and others. However, they may also be eligible if they are homeless, a migrant, a runaway, or a foster child. On top of that, children may qualify if their household meets the criteria for income level and family size. If you want to learn more information about this program, then you will want to get in touch with the state agency that has the responsibility of administering SBP in your state. You can find the contact information you need online.

Summer Food Service Program (SFSP)

Many people know SFSP as the Summer Meals Program. Regardless of how you know this program, it can provide benefits to qualifying children and teens until they are 18 years old when school is not in session. The benefits this program provides include free meals! Even though this program is federally-funded, it is administered at the state level. It provides free meals by reimbursing the providers that serve the meals.

This program works with the help of three parties. These three parties are state agencies, sponsors, and sites.

State Agencies

State agencies are the ones to administer the program. They also are the ones in touch with the USDA. They will be the party that sponsors will go to when entering an agreement to run the program.


Sponsors are the ones to enter into agreements with state agencies in order to run the program. This includes local government agencies, schools, camps, and nonprofit community organizations. These sponsors need to have the ability to manage the program. They will receive reimbursements from the program and could even have the chance to manage more than one site!


Places in the community where qualifying children can get their meals are known as sites. Sites are safe and supervised environments and can be located in many different settings. Some settings can include community centers, schools, hospitals, health clinics, parks, churches, migrant centers, and even apartment complexes. Sites will work directly with sponsors to provide these meals.

Seniors Farmers’ Market Nutrition Program (SFMNP)

This is a program that can help qualifying seniors get access to locally grown products such as vegetables, fruit, herbs, and honey. Besides that, SFMNP was designed to increase the domestic consumption of products through farmers’ markets, community-supported agriculture programs, and even roadside stands as well as help with the development of these sources. To benefit from this program, seniors must typically be at least 60 years old and have a low income. This generally means they do not make more than 185% of the federal poverty income guidelines.

Special Milk Program (SMP)

Milk is an essential part of the diets of growing children. SMP is a program that gives milk to qualifying children as long as they do not take part in other federal child nutrition service programs. Schools, childcare institutions, and qualifying camps that provide the milk can receive reimbursements from this program.

There are guidelines around the milk that these programs can provide. This includes only offering pasteurized low-fat or fat-free milk. The milk must meet both local and state standards as well as contain vitamin A and vitamin D at certain levels. The levels are specified by the Food and Drug Administration (FDA). If you want more information on this program, you will need to get in touch with the state agency responsible for administering the program.

Fresh Fruit and Vegetable Program (FFVP)

FFVP is a type of federally assisted program. It provides both fresh fruits and fresh vegetables to children at qualifying elementary schools during the school day. This program was designed with the goal of introducing children to both fresh fruits and vegetables. Through this introduction, the program hopes to increase the acceptance and consumption of unprocessed and fresh produce among children. On top of that, the program can provide new and different varieties of fruits and vegetables to children! The bigger picture goal is to promote healthier school environments and nutrition education. If you want to learn more information about this program, you will want to get in touch with the state agency that has the responsibility of administering FFVP in your state. You can find the contact information you need online.

Bottom Line

When it comes to handling the cost of groceries, many Americans struggle. The government understands how important having food is at an affordable price. They offer a variety of food assistance programs that may be able to help. Some popular programs include:

Each of these programs aims to help recipients in a different way. That is why it is essential to understand these options so you can better see which one would be a good fit for your situation. You and your family may have more support than you realize!

Previous articleWhat is the National Alliance to End Homelessness?
Next articleWhat’s on the HUD Home Store?